Man I suck at this....
So life at Mdumbi since July... Work filled. Not so much that I spent all of my time working, though I did spend a large part this way, but I did spend most of my time thinking about work. Transcape is going through, what I have decided to call, a growth period, and I am trying to figure out my role here in all of this. Currently I am doing the jobs of, I would say 3 people, maybe 2.5. I have a lot to do everyday and the work could definately spill over into evenings and weekends, but one thing I have learned through all of this is the importance of creating a seperation between work and non-work time. I work mon-fri 9-5, perhaps the occasional Saturday if there is a meeting, but otherwise, I strictly don't work.
So what am I doing with the rest of my time? Well that can be a problem. We get a lot of down time here, and since the weather has been particularly terrible lately (lots of rain and cold wind) this time has to be spent inside. I have made a sort of resolution with myself that I need to spend this time productively. Either learning, or doing something. I have been soaking in as much knowledge as I can get lately. Even going back to my professors to ask them for the things I should have read while taking their classes in University. I am now able to see the point of all of the developmental theory they told us to read. I am looking at starting a new development project or focus maybe, and I want it to be grounded in a strong foundation of knowledge, so for this I must study.
I have also lately, taken a strong interest in gardening, permaculture to be specific, and how the home-grown garden could be used as a tool for development or food security. Currently I don't have my own land on which to farm, or really the time necessary to make it work, but I am learning a lot from friends who do, and are happy to share their knowledge with me, and let me play in their gardens. I can't wait until I have a garden of my own!
I spend most of my weekends visiting people. A few of my good friends here live quite a distance away, well out of walking distance, which means for the first time since being here I have to make an effort to see them. This has actually been really nice. It has given me close places where I can go to get away from Mdumbi, when this place feels too small, and that happens a lot. I have also made a few new friends in the village, which has been very fun. This weekend I went to visit my friend Nosiphiwo and within an hour I had learned 3 new xhosa phrases, and been to places right in our village that I had never been before. There is a beautiful creek that runs through the village, and it is surrounded by a beautiful forest, which I have never really explored. I think I will have to spend more time there, I hear there are monkeys hiding!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Nan! So nice to see you on the blogosphere again! I haven't been on or updated anything in such a long time!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad to hear that you are taking time to yourself and being able to see and do new things! How awesome that there is a little forest with monkeys! I am also pretty jealous of your ability to tinker in other people's gardens! That is awesome.
You are the best and I miss you