Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Lot's Goin' On!

It's been a while. Not such a busy month. A lot of the same really, lots of work and lots of fun, but most days tend to be the same, which makes me forget to write.
Not every day was the same however. On March 24, two of my favorite people here were married. It was one of the most beautiful wedding I have ever been to! Flowers everywhere, in very soft pinks and greens, with pearls, lace and twinkly lights. Beautiful and so much fun! At midnight the evening shifted from wedding to my birthday (well for me at least) and there was lots of champagne (as it was my champagne birthday, 25 on the 25th) and dancing and good friends.
The weekend after this was Tata Spargs' mother's funeral. She was very old and had a wonderful life, so the funeral wasn't sad, it was much like a church service, except with a cascet in the middle. It was the first xhosa funural I have been to. It was very interesting to see, but I didn't stay for the whole thing. Funerals around here are very big deals, families spend all the money they have to make the day into a huge party. It is customary to slaughter a cow for the funeral. Tata Spargs also got a cow, but the day of the funeral it was raining really hard and the cow ran away and they couldn't find it. So the next day when the sun came out again they caught the cow and it got what was coming to it. I wasn't there, but from what I heard, plenty of meat was had by all!!
As far as work goes, I have become an accountant. I never thought I would say that. But I actually kind of like it. I also have a volunteer coming in a couple of weeks, which is exciting. My first volunteer! I won't actually work with her that much I don't think, but it is exciting that I coordinated it! I also have a few groups coming in the next few months which I will be coordinating.
All this and Brynn and Ruth are coming soon, and then I will be going home for a visit and Erin and Blake's social! Soo many good things to come!!

No comments:

Post a Comment