Thursday, March 8, 2012

A Week Away to Think

Well it's March now. The month of my birth. haha. I don't feel I really have much to say right now, I just feel it has been a while since the last post and that one was a little emo, so I should probably give this another go.
I had a week off, which was good. I think a lot of my homesickness stemmed from just needing a break from here. Things were getting a little intense around here for me, I was sick, my room was broken into, I found out that I couldn't get into school and then Hyman asked me to take over the accounting for Transcape. All of which basically made me want to run for my mama!
Ok so the week off. This was really good. For the first 2 days I was at a workshop about Solidarity Economy, run by a group called COPAC. I went to learn about Co-operatives and how to introduce them successfully into our community. I learned alot and have now been inspired to create a completely new and much simpler training program about business formation. Offering co-operatives as an alternative from the norm, rather than as the money carting, saviour to the poor that they have been portrayed as in the past. This will be a huge job I think, especially because I want it to be completely in Xhosa, however with help from some friends in a nearby organization who are struggling with the same things, we should be able to get this off the ground. Hopefully.
After the workshop, I spent two nights in East London alone. I needed some time to think, pray, and reflect on my time here and decide how long I want to be here for. I didn't really come to any concrete conclusions, however I was and still am struggling with the idea of making big decisions or changes right now. I think I need to stick it out here for a while and see how things go.
I then went to Coffee Bay for a few days and hung out with some friends there. Nothing too exciting, no new places discovered or sights seen, just some awesome times spent with friends who reminded me what a wonderful place we live in.

Ok so by the end of the week, I had reached a decision and told Hyman that I would take over the accounting. This means a long term commitment to be here. I don't know how long, and I don't feel comfortable putting a time on it. Everything changes. I might go home tomorrow, I just don't know. But for now, I am here, I am committed and I am an accountant.

No comments:

Post a Comment