I don't know how many people I will have reading this time, but I guess for those of you interested and just for myself, it is good to keep records of events gone by. Especially since we all know how good I am at taking pictures... hopefully this will be a satisfactory substitute for the time being.
So I am back in South Africa. Living in the same place, and working for the same people(TransCape), well mostly, some have gone, some have come, but for the most part, the people have remained the same. Which is so nice! Coming onto the Mdumbi lot felt just like coming home. There are little changes here and there, but nothing major so it makes it feel like I hardly left at all.
One big difference is that I am not living at the backpackers itself this time. Yesterday I moved to Tata Sparg's. This is a little, up and coming backpackers (hostel if you will) down the road that was under construction when I was here before. It is still under construction, but nearly done so I am staying there now and will be working with them to help prepare them for taking guests and then will be managing it when there are guests there. I will be also working with Transcape volunteers who will come and live here. This should be interesting as I have never worked at a backpackers nevermind managed one, but I am getting lessons this week so hopefully it all works out well.
Tata Spargs place feels very remote, even in comparison to Mdumbi. There is no electricity or plumbing. So I live with candlelight, I bring water from a pump for cooking and I use an outhouse (believe it!) which I discovered this morning is a very far way away. Tata Spargs who owns the land also lives there with his family, He has at least 12 children, and as you might know I am not so good with the kids, but hopefully all goes well in that department. For now I am just trying to learn their names. Xhosa names are very difficult! Also Tata doesnt really speak english so we are struggling with communication. Right now I think he thinks I will be eating with his family, but that is not true so I will somehow have to fix that. I am excited about how much xhosa I will now need to learn! Without a good reason you never really actually learn it.
It is exciting, and a little bit scary to be living in the community a little bit away from everyone. I think as I settle in I will really like it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I've been checking every once-in-a-while to see if you have anything new to say. I was happily surprised when I checked last night...
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad for you that you're there...and amazed by your ambition. Take care. You're awesome! :)
-Alicia
I am happy you are keeping up your blog :)
ReplyDelete