Today I went to visit one of my old homebased care groups. They are the people that I was working with last time I was here. I will not be working with them again, I just wanted to see how they were doing. It was so wonderful to see them again! They have a new office building from Transcape and are thrilled about that, however everything else is not going so well for them. They are having organizational difficulties and I think Transcape will soon stop supporting them, which is so sad for me and them. They are upset and confused and while I would love to help them, I really am not in the position to do so without stepping on toes and majorly overfilling my plate. And perhaps it would be best for them if they would be able to find another supporting organization which could have more time to work with them properly.
That aside, the visit was wonderful and all the while laughing at me and scolding me for remaining single even though I am so old, they made me a traditional Xhosa meal. Sqwamp, I believe they called it. It is made from various weeds and grasses chopped up extremely small and then added to a boiled rice and chopped turnip mixture. Cooked down to a lumpy porridge consistancy. I think they may have also thrown a little sugar in for good measure.
Let me tell you, it was not good. But shame, they were so excited to show Xhosa food to an oomloongo (white person), that I gagged down every bitter bite and told them that yes it was indeed "very nice".
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
haha. Nan, this story made me laugh. I can remember so well trying various delicacies. Glad to hear things are going well. You are in our prayers!
ReplyDeleteare u sure its called sqwamp or did u mean SWASS! love erin
ReplyDelete