Monday, February 13, 2012

Busy, Busy, Busy!

February has been incredibly busy! I can't believe how fast this month is going!! Mostly it has been busy with work. The student group I wrote about in the last post, has been here for 2 weeks now and they have kept me very busy. Every day they go to the Headman's to work, and I mean work Hard! Well most of them... I have gone with them twice and both times I have come home very sore! They are digging a pond, creating a solar water heating system, and building compost toilets, among other things. They have been a lot of fun to work and hang out with. I think things will be very quiet when they go. But then the Outtatowners are coming, which will be fun because I know some of them.
Other work that I have been busy with, is - maintaining Tata Spargs', however that has become a lot less as we have very few guests.
-Starting a youth project with a couple of guys from the village. They want to start doing development programs which work to solve problems raised by the youth in this area.
-Updating Transcape's website, there is still a lot of work there and that is taking a LOT of time.
-Evaluating our Co-operative training, this I just took on (silly me), but it will mean lots of interviews and workshops and then lots of writing, and perhaps creating a new training program.
-Creating a volunteer program for Transcape. This is taking alot of time, but is also a lot of fun. Mostly it is my own innitiative though, so I am doing this when I have spare time, which isn't often, so I don't get to it as much as I would like.

There has been time for fun in here as well. I went to coffee bay this weekend for Coffee Shack's birthday party, and I have been doing some gardening with my friend Marteli, who will be moving into the community as soon as her Fiance finishes the house he is building for them.

I have been doing a lot of thinking about what I want to do come June. This is when I am scheduled to leave here. I could choose to stay, I would definately have a job. But I may not have any money, and with my massive student loans, this is an issue for me. I have always said that I didn't want to leave here without a plan and last week I thought I had one. I was going to go home and work (hopefully in an organic garden or farm of sorts) and then go to UCN in Winnipeg to study Midwifery. However when I emailed the school I found out that they aren't accepting new students until 2014. This changes things... now I don't know what to do. More research I guess....

2 comments:

  1. Hey Nan,
    I"m so sorry to hear that UCN is not accepting until 2014...I wonder if there is a waiting list incase someone decides not too.
    In my opinion there should/could be alot more staff at the new Wpg. Birth Center. It's not being used nearly as much as they had hoped, and I know that is because women feel like they are being kicked out...if there was more staff, that could care for the new moms, there may be more births. What wonderful work you are doing right now Nan! Have you heard of Haidee Baker?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Patty-Jean, I am loving what I am doing here! I was also sad to hear that they aren't accepting new applicants because I had heard that they were having a hard time to get enough people interested in the program.
    No, I have never heard of Haidee Baker, but I would love to know more!
    Thanks for reading, I love your blog! Your birth stories are part of the reason why I want to become a midwife!

    ReplyDelete