Sunday, September 20, 2009

My Busy Weekend

On Friday I went to my first community event. It was the openning of the youth centre that Transcape helped to build. It was so cool to see the community celebrate. However it was a really long day. The ceremony was supposed to start at 9:30 but didn't end up starting until about noon. So until then Erin and I helped the mamas in the kitchen and I cut more carrots than I think I have ever seen in my life. Once the ceremony finally started it was super long first of all because it was all in xhosa so I really had no idea what was going on and then because between each speaker they would have a dance break where they would play really loud music and everyone would get up and dance around. It was quite entertaining!
Saturday we went to Coffee Bay, which is a small town by down the coast from Mdumbi where there is a backpackers and resturaunts and things. So we stayed there for a bit and then walked back to Mdumbi, which is supposed to be about a 2.5 hour walk along the cliffs, but we were told by a woman at coffee bay to take this road and she drew us a map and everything. So because we didn't know where we were going we took the road and it ended up getting us there but it was not as cool as the cliffs and it was a very long very hot walk. I think it took about 3 hours in the end.
Today we had a TransCape meeting. It was really good to see what other projects are being worked on and learn more about Transcape. I also ended up taking on another small project and will be looking into one of the micro finance groups to see how their projects are going. This is another challenge for me as I know nothing about micro finance or business, but I will do my best I suppose. I will also be staying at Mdumbi while working with them, rather than Canzibe which will be a change as I have never been there during the week, only for weekends.
So that was my weekend. Quite hectic, but luckily spider free!! Hopefully there are none this week because Erin will be gone so I will have to deal with them all alone!!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Nan, after making all those perogies, you must have cut a LOT of carrots for it to be memorable:)

    Sorry about the spiders but so glad you are having such an awesome life experience! They are lucky to have you.

    Think about you so often and love you so much.

    xo
    Auntie Eileen.

    ReplyDelete