Monday, December 28, 2009

Christmas In Namibia

It was a Christmas like I have never spent before! A warm one!
I spent Christmas eve on the beach, Christmas day with a wonderful family, and boxing day climbing sand dunes.
Getting to Namibia was quite an adventure! I started with a 12 hour, overnight bus ride from Mthatha to Joburg, and then I flew to Windhoek where I spent the weekend with a friend. Windhoek was soo hot! I have never felt weather that hot! It is a hard city to get around without a car, but we spent time wondering around the city centre and then on sunday we went horseback riding in the mountains just outside the city. I haven't been on a horse since beaver creek so that was interesting!!
I then went to visit the Beukes in Swakupmund. They took wonderful care of me and their family is big and loud just like mine which was so nice because I really miss my family, so it was kind of like being back with them again. They showed me all around Swakup and took me to the dunes outside of Walvis Bay. They also taught me lots of Africaans to take back with me and impress the people at Mdumbi!
We climbed the dunes which were SO hot! We had to pour water on our feet when we came down so that our poor burned little feet wouldn't blister! Climbing a mountain of sand is no easy task! The sand was loose so every step you take you sink a half step so it takes twice as long as it should to get to the top!
I am now in Johannesburg for the night before my long drive back to Mthatha. I will then meet friends there and go on to East London for new years. After that weekend it will be back to work like crazy in January.
Happy New Year!!

1 comment:

  1. Nancy it sounds wonderful and full of adventures! I am happy you got to spend Christmas with a big boisterous family. Miss you! I hope you have a Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete