It won't stop raining!! For about a week now there has been nothing but mist in the air and it has been raining nonstop! I am beginning to forget what the sun looks like! Everything here is so damp because the humidity is so high! Even the walls are wet Hopefully my clothes don't start to mold, I hear that happens.
On a warmer note, I am going to Namibia for Christmas! I am so excited! I am going to be spending Christmas with the Bueke's and their family! It will be very cool to spend Christmas somewhere warm for the first time every, and it will be so nice to be with a family again and especially for Christmas, since it is my first one away from my own.
This weekend some friends and I went to East London. I have been there before, but on my own so it was nice to go and hang out there with friends. We went shopping during the day on saturday and then we went to this amazingly fancy resteraunt for supper. There was a jazz band playing in the resteraunt while we ate and they were very good. After dinner we went dancing at a club called Numbers. It was so fun to get all dressed up and go out! I never get dressed up like that here and most of the time I don't even care what I look like because it really does not matter around here what you wearing or if your hair is done.
Thursday was World Aids Day in Libode, not the actual World Aids Day, but the day they chose to celebrate. Lindelwa, the woman I work with helped to organize the event so I went with her home based care group to experience the day and it was so cool.
The day was very disorganized, starting with my transport, which was figured out at the . I had to get a public taxi to some point on the road that I can't pronounce where a bunch of women from the HBC were waiting to be picked up in 3 large vans and taken to the event. While waiting on the road the women painted my face with traditional xhosa paint. When I asked what the design meant, they didn't know, they just said it was tradition.
During the event there was lots of traditional dancing and speaking. I had no idea what was being said because it was all in xhosa, but the tent was packed and I think the day went very well! At the end they had a candle lighting ceremony for people who are living with and who have died of AIDS and while I didn't know what was being said, it was very cool to watch.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Sounds like quite the experience Nancy.
ReplyDelete