Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Frustrations and Progress

So yesterday I went to sleep feeling like the universe was playing a huge cosmic joke on me. I spent the afternoon scrubbing a carpet only to find out immediately on completion that the one I had scrubbed on friday was filthy again. Then I had a rediculously frustrating phone call, and then people made a bunch of plans about my project over my head without consulting me. I was so frustrated, that in the last few days I have really started to think about whether or not I should be here, and what might come next in my life.
This morning I had a meeting that cleared things up a little bit, and made me once again excited to be working here. Hyman and I talked again about one of the projects I am working on called Eco Homesteads where we work with families in the area to refit their homes in an environmentally friendly way, providing them with solar power, compost toilets, permaculture gardens, and solar water heaters. My part of the job is getting volunteers to come and work with the families for three months to train the family and install all of the equipment. If you would like to volunteer, just let me know!!
Things at Tata Spargs' are going very very well. We have changed the name of the backpackers to Jonga, Xhosa for "look", because the view from there is actually too good for words. I wish I could post a picture! Although it wouldn't do it justice. There is no word for the view in Xhosa so this is the best we could find. We have started remodelling the lounge area. As some of you may know I have no spark for interior decorating whatsoever, so I have a few good friends helping me out, which has so far been pretty fun. It is exciting to see things happening there finally. Tata Spargs started building my office there today and he will probably finish it tomorrow so soon soon I will have an office and we will be able to start taking our own bookings and guests. Which is good because our first group comes in 2 weeks! So far we don't have showers yet, they are in Mthatha being fixed and I am just praying that they will be back in time. Tata is kinda freaking out! haha Oh and our compost toilets should be here soon as well so, Scott and Karen, I will soon have a poo garden of my very own!!

1 comment:

  1. I wish so badly that I could see the view from the backpackers! Also, you should stay there for two more years so that I can come and visit you when I am done in Colombia :P Speaking of which, I have my meeting with the consulate for my visa on Tuesday and once I have that I will be pretty much ready to go! So excited! Looks like I might actually be able to (finally) leave in January!

    I am so excited that you will have your poo garden so soon!!! :D

    ReplyDelete