Monday, November 21, 2011

A Wonderful Weekend Spent Here

Well I had a wonderful weekend. I didn`t end up going to East London for a few reasons, but it all worked out anyway.
On Friday I went to Mthatha with the prevention team. All 16 of us crammed into a pickup. I was able to go to Home Affairs while I was there, but I was unable to get my visa. I need a Medical Check, a new addition to the application. Luckily, one of my good friends here is a Doctor so she will just fill it out for me so I don`t actually have to get an x-ray or anything. Yay! Hopefully I don`t actually have TB hidden in me somewhere....
On the way home from Mthatha it poored buckets and the roads were ankle deep in mud. As the person sitting by the door, it was my job to get out and let people out of the back of the truck. For this, I took off my shoes, which would have caused more harm than good and left them on the floor of the truck. When we finally got to Mdumbi, they were gone. Somewhere along the line they must have got kicked out. My poor Toms, laying all alone in the world... thats for sure not true, they now belong to their happy new owners and I am a pair of shoes down... Which is too bad because these are quite possibly the best shoes I have ever found for out here!

When we got back from Mthatha, Kate was here! She is one of my favorite people. She works in Coffee Bay at a preschool and is starting a development organization there. She is so lovely. Her, her mother, and two friends were here and on friday we stayed up till sunrise playing a game very similar to Taboo. The whole weekend after that was good. Hyman`s birthday was the day after and we had a braai with more meat than my little wanna-be vegetarian heart could really fathom, but it was very very tasty! Sunday was spent braaing the leftovers and playing poker with a few old Afrikaaners. I understood about 20% of what was going on, but laughed almost constantly!
Now we have a hardcore work week as we are preparing for our first guests to come to Tata Spargs on Friday. A group of ten people from Capetown. Yay for progress!

3 comments:

  1. sorry about the shoes! do i understand correctly that you are eating meat again? And i could hear your lovely laugh from here :D love you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. that was me..jess

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks jess. i am in fact eating meat again. it is too difficult here to be a veg, it is too expensive/difficult to balance my diet properly so that i get all the nutrients needed.

    ReplyDelete