This week has been an interesting one for me. I have come to the realization that I need to be more indipendant. It is easy here to allow myself to depend on other people to get me where I need to be, bring me the things I need, and do the things that I need done.
Earlier this week I needed to get to Mthatha, for visa, groceries, and work supplies, however no one would take me. It was either a bad day to go, or someone else had already asked for a lift, or what I needed wasn`t worth a seperate trip so I must wait. I was furious! So mad that I went to my room and sulked for the evening.
I woke up in the morning with the realization that I just need to do what I tell Tata Spargs and all of the other local people to do all the time. Make a plan. So I went to the grocery store just down the road. Really it was that easy. This store is a km away and I had never been there in all the months I have been here. This store doesn`t have much and usually I just send a list with whoever is going to Mthatha. So I got what I needed and it will last until I can make another plan.
About Mthatha. I called Gracie, the Manager of the HIV project who has a group going to Mthatha every day this week. I can go any day with them and get my visa application done. Just like that. Sorted. And if I go with them on Friday, I can then go to East London to do some of the other shopping I have been needing to do and get a much needed trip away.
So, lesson for this week. Just because the easiest option isn`t working out does not mean that there is no other plan that can be made! It all works out the way it is supposed to, and usually that looks nothing like what I think it should.
This week has also had many fun moments to it.
- an unexpected visit from an old friend
- a lovely evening spent listening to guitar around a fire,under a sky completely lit up with starts.
- learning to use a sewing machine and making 4 pillow cases and 2 shower curtains all by myself.
- painting over old signs and decorating the lounge at Tata Spargs.
- being offered a lollipop in exchange for being a local man`s white girlfriend.
- researching and discovering the perfect way to seal sandy soil to make a pond.
- a party and sleepover in my old house in Canzibe
Earlier this week I needed to get to Mthatha, for visa, groceries, and work supplies, however no one would take me. It was either a bad day to go, or someone else had already asked for a lift, or what I needed wasn`t worth a seperate trip so I must wait. I was furious! So mad that I went to my room and sulked for the evening.
I woke up in the morning with the realization that I just need to do what I tell Tata Spargs and all of the other local people to do all the time. Make a plan. So I went to the grocery store just down the road. Really it was that easy. This store is a km away and I had never been there in all the months I have been here. This store doesn`t have much and usually I just send a list with whoever is going to Mthatha. So I got what I needed and it will last until I can make another plan.
About Mthatha. I called Gracie, the Manager of the HIV project who has a group going to Mthatha every day this week. I can go any day with them and get my visa application done. Just like that. Sorted. And if I go with them on Friday, I can then go to East London to do some of the other shopping I have been needing to do and get a much needed trip away.
So, lesson for this week. Just because the easiest option isn`t working out does not mean that there is no other plan that can be made! It all works out the way it is supposed to, and usually that looks nothing like what I think it should.
This week has also had many fun moments to it.
- an unexpected visit from an old friend
- a lovely evening spent listening to guitar around a fire,under a sky completely lit up with starts.
- learning to use a sewing machine and making 4 pillow cases and 2 shower curtains all by myself.
- painting over old signs and decorating the lounge at Tata Spargs.
- being offered a lollipop in exchange for being a local man`s white girlfriend.
- researching and discovering the perfect way to seal sandy soil to make a pond.
- a party and sleepover in my old house in Canzibe
- First 3 guests at Tata Spargs, and many confirming and paying deposits for December
Hi Nan, It's always so fun to go to your blog and find a new post. Sounds like you have a lot of good mixed in with the frustration. Miss you and we are praying for you. Mom
ReplyDeleteI would have given you at least two lollipops and a veggie burger to be my white ginger girlfriend
ReplyDelete